Apr 18, 2012

Does freedom Mean That I Can Do Whatever I Want?

This week I started a new group colead with Cassie. We are just start to build a new atmosphere interaction mode in group, thus it is normal to happen some "interludes."

A girl took the paper on the table which near another girl's personal space, and the latter  insisted that she owns the paper. The girl ignored her objection and started to draw on the paper, thus another girl began to cry.

I paused their argument and listened to their explanation of "who should own the paper." then I let them know we have more paper but wish they could simply ask for permission before picking up a paper from other's space. Because everyone needs to be respect and doesn't want this happen to him/her in the future. She promised me she will do that next time, and another girl was willing to accept this result and allow me to bring her a new paper. I heard the girl who took the paper said sorry to another after I left for taking a new paper. That's how kids learn to respect and forgive. I saw them talked together happily after a while, I knew they did not put the dispute on mind anymore.

Though we hope children have free choices and independent thinking in art, we do have to educate them the social skills with positive approach. In order to maintain every child's freedom and security in art exploration, children need to learn how to interact and show their respect and empathy to others. I feel I also learn from those girls. Once facing this kind of situations, I wish I can try my best to empathize others perspective and never give up fixing the mistakes rather than stuck into a small misunderstanding. Look what a truly forgiveness kids show to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment